It is possible to have Android Auto (and so Waze) and also Apple Carply from your iPhone on Renault R-Link 2.
If not you can activate it by following this tutorial:
It seems that RENAULT implemented these functionalities were introduced on the production lines of :
- Scénic, Kadjar, Mégane: Week 16 (but ordered after 6 March) 2018
- Espace, Talisman: Week 15 2018
- Mégane Sedan: Week 17 2018
- New Koleos Android Auto & Apple CarPlay is available from the beginning of sales.
How to know if my R-Link 2 is compatible with Android Auto and Apple Carplay?
Go to System and on the second page there must be the “Smartphone Replication” icon.
R-Link2 officially supports Apple CarPlay from the same time as Android Auto.
So from firmware 3.3.16.xx. If you update the original 2.2.xx to 7.0.xx or 3.3.15.xx to 3.3.16.xx and go through the instructions above, Apple CarPlay (unlike Android Auto) will still not work for you.
Those who originally had firmware 2.2.xx (now 7.0.xx) are probably unlucky forever. Owners of 3.3.15.xx (now 3.3.16.xx) can read on. You can easily find out if it is possible to activate Apple CarPlay with you. Follow the above procedure to get to the so-called Developer Mode and in the left part of the window where the versions of individual modules are listed, you will also find the item HW gen.
- on the flash (ideally USB2.0, R-Link2 sometimes has trouble understanding some USB3.0 flashes) you need this file to download link after beer donation 🍻 (do not copy the .zip file on the flash, but its contents). Be sure to format the flash to FAT32 beforehand. I recommend keeping the flash completely empty.
- insert the flash into the USB in the vehicle
- You need to click on this screen Menu -> Multimedia -> Settings -> Photos
- Now comes the process, which will require a little dexterity and you may not be able to succeed the first time. Click once in area 1 (hold your finger for about 2 seconds), then click in area 2 about 15 times.
- The so-called Developer Mode screen will open. You are on very thin ice if you do not know what you are doing. Keep in mind that you are now in the technical background of R-Link2, where you can set up many interesting things and also irreversibly destroy R-Link2. Under no circumstances should you click on the “VirginMode” button. It will cause something like the format of the R-Link2 system disk, including R-Link2 itself, and you have painted.
- There is only one thing you will be interested in Developer Mode. Android Auto Projection Button. Click on it, the “light” turns green and we’re done. Android Auto is activated.
- Now all you have to do is exit the Developer Mode with the back arrow. And restart R-Link2 by holding down the power button.
- After the restart, just connect the phone with the Android Auto application installed and the system will work.
CHECK THE HW VERSION FOR ANDROID WORKING
This is the hardware version of the R-Link2 unit. If you have the number 1.1 as in the picture, you can immediately forget about Apple CarPlay. The PCB is missing circuits for Apple CarPlay. Only the replacement of the R-Line2 unit will help – it has the code 281152288R in the authorized service and costs approx. CZK 8,750 incl. VAT. The advantage is that along with that you will probably get the latest R-Link2 in version 9.0.x (8.0.x is probably a certainty).
If you find HW Gen number 2.0 or 2.1, you have won. Just replace the original USB module with the number 280230016R, for a newer one with the number 280239665R or 280238352R (version with SD card reader).
Waze on R-Link 2
To use Waze on R-Link 2, you need to use Android Auto for Android phone or have iOS12 for Apple users.
Install the Waze application on your phone. After launching Android Auto on the R-Link 2, click on the navigation button you will have the choice between Google Maps and Waze.
For Apple, the Waze application has to be installed on the phone, then the application will appear on the Carplay screen.
Increase the size of Android Auto
On R-Link 2 in portrait mode 8.9 inches (large size) when launching Android Auto (and Carplay), only a small part of the display is used:
There is a trick to increase the size of Android Auto as below:
- Open Android Auto on the phone
- Go to “About” on the left side menu
- Click 10 times on “About Android Auto” in the title bar to enable developer mode.
- Go to the top-right menu to select “Developer Settings”
- Go down the list to check the option “Allow 720p video output”.
Now Android Auto occupies a much larger part of the R-Link 2 screen! (performances may depend of phones).
The different steps in pictures:
If the app is not installed you need to check that the “Unknown sources” option is authorized in the phone settings security menu.
Once done, click on the notification as the download has been done to start the installation of the file.
If you have an error message that the application is not compatible with your phone, try another version such as arm64.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?