The Medianav & the Medianav Evolution is a Car Audio Multimedia & GPS system with 7 “resistive touch screen for Renault & Dacia cars”, manufactured by LG that works with Windows CE ver 6.0 x 32 bits . The mapping system is based on maps HERE (IGO) & TOMTOM (Garmin maps are not supported).
I will start with a Warning
The Medianav is practically a Windows computer (similar to windows 98). Making any configuration or software modification without knowing what it does is a risk that should not be accepted unless it is used as a junk to experiment or it is a computer that has to be recovered.
Remove the Medianav
All the plastic around the equipment is a decorative frame and is secured by plastic clips. Depending on the equipment and version of the vehicle there may be more than one frame. To remove just pull each frame carefully avoiding excessive pressure that can damage the staples which are not replaceable as the doors. After removing the frame (s), the device is secured with four Philips screws (stria or star). After removing it, remove the cable connector located at the back and the antenna cable. It’s very simple, if you need more help there are videos on youtube.
Service Menu & Configuration Menu “MICOM”
The Medianav & Medianav Evolution have a hidden service menu for the user, access to the menu depends on the GPS model. If you wish to change any settings (LOUDNESS, AHA Radio, Activate Rear camera, Activate ECO MENU), you must enter MICOM.
More about this topic you can find on:
• Do not tamper with the MICOM or run the risk of blocking the device, perform only one adjustment at a time and restart.
Resuscitate the Medianav
If the device does not work and is a brick either because you screwed up or left it forgotten in a dark corner then start reading.
This is mainly a computer work, keep in mind that the Medianav is a Windows 98 PC and treat it as such.
Most if not all known and/or reported failures are software failures due to corruption of system and navigation files, or product of a bad update. Keep in mind that the hardware used is very robust and is used as a real-time control system in industrial environments.
• Always make a backup on the files before to make the update
• Always have the device PIN handy, if you don’t have it, get it by following this article.
• Before making any update, the equipment must be restarted and / or if you have the unlock code, disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to ensure that any parasitic charge has caused a temporary failure of the equipment. After inserting the PENDRIVE into the device and turning on the ignition key, the update process will begin automatically if a USB with the update file has been punctured.
• There are 2 main types of failure that indicate quickly what the problem is, system failure (which causes a lock on the home screen or a continuous restart) and navigation failure (the device works perfectly radio, multimedia, Bluetooth, but does not enter the navigation menu or when it does it freezes, asks for a password and does not accept it, or restarts).
• The (official) updates are differential, so the update files may vary depending on the date they were generated, so you will not find 2 identical update files on the network.
• Save official updates made to the team.
• Backup GPS files and license files to have a backup for the future.
Directories in the WIN CE 6.0 EXPLORER
The Navigation directory is as follows:
Medianav / upgrade / Storage card4 / NNG / license
Medianav / upgrade / Storage card4 / NNG / content / map
Medianav / upgrade / Storage card4 / NNG / content / poi
Medianav / upgrade / Storage card4 / NNG / content / speedcam
In other words, all navigation (what should be backed up) is in the NNG directory, the rest of the directories are the system files.
The size of this directory can vary between 2 and 4 Gb and depends directly on the #of maps that you have installed before.
Within the navigation directory there is a folder (license) where the licenses of the equipment are located and have a description equal or similar to the following texts:
Sometimes the description includes the type of vehicle.
For a couple of years (←2016) are the following:
• Version 4.0.3
• Version 4.0.5
• Version 4.0.6
Update for last version on this link .
Medianav Evolution v1 Software: (2015→2018)
• Version 6.0.3
• Version 7.0.5
• Version 8.0.5
• Version 9.1.1
• Version 9.1.3
Update for last 9.1.3 soft update available on this link .
Medianav Evolution v2 Software (2019→ ):
• Version 220.127.116.11
• Version 18.104.22.168
• Version 22.214.171.124
Update available with the toolbox on this website:
dacia.welcome.naviextras.com or this one renault.welcome.naviextras.com
• To update you must use a PENDRIVE formatted in FAT32, with a recommended minimum of 4 Gb, the maximum supported is 32 Gb.
• Some USB devices are not compatible if it does not work (if you do not recognize the update) use another PENDRIVE.
How to know what device and software version I have
Turn on the Medianav, select SETTING, SYSTEM, down page, SYSTEM VERSION.
• If the software version is 4.x.x or less it is a Medianav.
• If the software version is 5.x.x or higher, it is a Medianav Evolution.
• If the software version is 1.x.xx.x or higher, it is a Medianav Evolution V2.
If the software version is lower than 4.0.6 in the Medianav or 9.1.3 in the MEDIANAV Evolution you need to update the equipment using the official channel links from above ↑. This process may require more than one update. Each update can take up to 30 minutes. Do not turn off the device or the device may lock.
Memory failure or erratic behavior.
If the device loses the stations, loses the favorites, disconnects the bluetooth or performs erratic functions must be reset and / or updated.
• Before making any update, restart the device and / or if you have the unlock code, disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to ensure that any parasitic charge has caused a temporary failure of the device.
• To update follow the official update procedure described in the manual (it is recommended). Remember to save each update for backup.
Problem1: I get a Warning Poster
The device is locked by presenting a warning screen, sometimes you can ask for the PIN of the device although it also stops responding. In short, he is asking you to update the equipment, I recommend doing it officially (it’s the simplest).
Problem 2: GPS does not work
(ATTEMPTING TO ENTER THE MAPS OR NAVIGATION THE EQUIPMENT IS FREEZED OR RESTARTED)
It is usually an error or corruption in the navigation files, you have several options:
• Update the device with an official update, try a recent update first, if it does not work try an older version of the computer restarts or does not complete the update try a backup or backup file in either update or backup format manual mode using Total Commander.
Problem 3: Does not start
(REMAINS IN THE LOGO OF STARTUP WITHOUT LOADING OR SIMPLY RESTARTING CONTINUOUSLY)
Usually, it is an error or corruption in the Windows system files, the last update that worked on the computer should be reloaded if It is unknown to start with an older version.
Patience, you have to waste a lot of time until one of the updates work (it is more problematic in the Evolution that has more updates and of course more options).
Once with the functional equipment update to the latest system version either officially (preferably) or unofficially and remember not to screw up again.
Problem 4: It does not start
(REMAINS WITH THE BLACK SCREEN)
It is usually an error or corruption in the boot system or firmware of the equipment although sometimes the damage has been reported in the chip that stores it (MX29LV320ETTI-70G). In this case, it is necessary to remove the defective chip and reprogram it or replace it with another reprogrammed one.