Thassos, Greece

I’ve heard about Thassos from some friends, the white stones, gold beaches, white beaches, wild beaches , old homes, the endless Aegean sea and a very nice mountains inside of insland. Today I’ll be sharing with you our travel diary of the visit to the island with some tips along the way. This was our first time in Thassos and it was a relatively not very short stay, (8 days), so I am by no means an expert. I did, however, have an incredible time so I’m sharing what I can so you can have an even better time!

For the beginning I want to say a few words about Thassos and Greece.

About Thassos:

Thasos or Thassos (Greek: Θάσος) is a Greek island, geographically part of the North Aegean Sea, but administratively part of the Kavala regional unit. It is the northernmost Greek island, and 12th largest by area. Thasos is also the name of the largest town of the island (officially known as Limenas Thasou, “Port of Thasos”), situated at the northern side, opposite the mainland and about 10 kilometres (6 mi) from Keramoti. Thassos island is a known from the ancient times for its termae making it a climatic and balneoclimateric resort area.

Road & Acces to the island:

The route from Romania to Greece was like this (686 km ~ 9,5h):

Slatina -> Craiova -> Vidin -> Montana -> Berkovitsa -> Sofia -> Dupnika -> Blagoevgrad -> Sandanski -> Kulata -> Fort Roupel -> Sidirokastro -> Serres -> Nea Zichni -> Eleftheroupoli -> Kavala -> Chrysoupoli -> Keramoti

I choose the direct acces to the ferry port from Keramoti to Limenas (Thassos Town),because is the shorter, faster, cheaper, more popular and most frequent route with a journey time of just 40 minutes and also for the feeding of the gulls (like in the images they are everywhere around the ferry).

thassos-beach-map
Thassos Beaches Map

After your departure in Limenas, you need to exit from the city and go on your city/beach .

So after I choose Potos like a destionation I need to travel another 43 km like this:

Limenas -> Skala Rachionou -> Prinos -> Skala Sotiros -> Skala Kallirachis -> Skala Marion -> Limenaria -> Perfkari -> Potos

In total I drive ~12 hours for a total of 741 km.

The Village & Hotel:
In my case was Potos, a wonderful sea-side village and beach resort on the island’s southern coast. During the Summer, this village is a very popular holiday destination among tourists, especially for the younger and energetic age groups. Young families tend to enjoy coming here as well due to the excellent facilities and younger crowds.

Post Author: Lisandru

Hello, my name is Alex aka Lisandru. I am an engineer, husband, blogger in free time and I’m living in Romania. This is my blog, where I post about beautiful places, automotive, games and movies reviews, videos and also about some things from my life. Never miss out on new stuff.

1 thought on “Thassos, Greece

ig

(August 4, 2017 - 3:50 am)

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message
    home a little bit, but instead of that, this is magnificent blog.
    An excellent read. I’ll certainly be back.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *