The XX – VCR

“VCR” is the fourth single by The xx, from their self-titled debut album. The single was first released in the UK on 24 January 2010. The song was also featured on the episode “Black Friday” from the television series Lie to Me. Music critic Robert Christgau named it the tenth best single of the year.

VCR” was covered by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. Their version was published at SoundCloud on 18 November 2010 and released as a B-side to “History of Modern (Part I)” on 28 February 2011.

According to music critic Robert Christgau, “VCR” uses a musical structure similar to “Crystalised”, “hooky ostinato riff embellished with a few subtle effects, leading to a soft vocal. The exaggerated drawl of bassist Oliver Sim precedes the more human-scale croon of guitarist Romy Madley Croft.” Croft and Sim shared lead vocals, which Rachel Kowal from NPR said are “delivered in a sexy call and response fashion that is reminiscent of the duets” by Canadian indie pop band Stars on their 2004 album Set Yourself on Fire, “minus all the antagonism associated with ex-lovers.”

Post Author: Lisandru

Hello, my name is Alex aka Lisandru. I am an engineer, husband, blogger in free time and I'm living in Romania. This is my blog, where I post about beautiful places, automotive, games and movies reviews, videos and also about some things from my life. Never miss out on new stuff.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *