Power Rangers

(2017)
124 min|Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi|March 24, 2017
6.1Rating: 6.1 / 10 from 68,985 usersMetascore: 44
A group of high-school students, who are infused with unique superpowers, harness their abilities in order to save the world.

The film – Power Rangers, more so even than the original Mighty Morphin’ era TV show, was the property that received all of the screen time in my personal six year old universe. In the right mood, and with the right amount of vodka in me, I could still probably quote that movie word for word. However, I am 100% aware that whilst I love the Power Rangers, I know full well that the quality of the works have never been particularly enviable.

This 2017 re-imagining of our beloved colourful troop tells the story of five teenagers in Grove, all of whom, one way or another, you could label to be misfits and outsiders. The film absolutely has The Breakfast Club to thank for the dynamic of the group, the majority of them even meeting for the first time in weekend detention, and it’s the human, coming-of-age element of the story from a star quarterback fallen from grace to a tech geek coping with autism to a Latina struggling with her sexuality that adds a really very endearing heart to the proceedings. Massive, massive props to the film for portraying the first instances of both autistic and LGBT superheroes in a blockbuster. No matter how pedestrian or forgettable the overall package is, that is one hell of a step forward.Have you noticed how we are halfway through the review and I haven’t even mentioned the plot yet? That’s because it really, really doesn’t matter.

All the old favourites are back in new clothes, from (Bill Vader) to (Bryan Cranston) to main villain Rita Repulsa (Elizabeth Banks), and everybody is getting up to ‘destroy the world/save the world’ business that is neither fully explained nor developed. Rita resurfaces in search of a crystal hidden deep in the Earth that once disturbed will kill all of mankind, our new set of heroes conveniently come across the belongings and lair of the old Power Rangers, seemingly deemed by fate to be the new breed of world protectors. Bla bla bla, training montage, obstacles, big fight, false ending, bigger fight, victory, yay. You know how this goes. Listen, have I seen better narratives? Absolutely. Have I seen better villains? Absolutely.

Any that includes themes outside of its usual remit like the LGBT community and autism, let alone putting those themes front and centre in the form of two of its leading characters, wins extra points in my book.Our new generation of Power Rangers are played by Dacre Montgomery (Jason/Red), Naomi Scott (Kimberly/Pink), RJ Cyler (Billy/Blue), Becky G (Trini/Yellow) and Ludi Lin (Zack/Black), and despite a few looking much too old for their high school age characters, all do a pretty solid job of keeping the audience engaged and invested enough to finish the ride. There’s no doubt that RJ Cyler as Billy Cranston is head and shoulders above the rest. Having loved him in Me And Earl And The Dying Girl, I was already aware of his talent, and as Billy, the tech loving geek who sits somewhere on the autism spectrum, he definitely provides the most endearing performance of the central five, a real charm and warmth of humour for the audience to connect with.

Post Author: Lisandru

Hello, my name is Alex aka Lisandru. I am an engineer, husband, blogger in free time and I’m living in Romania. This is my blog, where I post about beautiful places, automotive, games and movies reviews, videos and also about some things from my life. Never miss out on new stuff.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *