BMW E30 with turbo’d M50

The is quickly becoming a cult classic among the DIY, autocross, and track crowd. And though the M5 version may be climbing so quickly in price, soon no one will be able to afford one.

In October 2014, whilst travelling Europe, Steven rang a man in Kent. While on the phone to the gentleman he pretty much agreed to buy the car. The day after arriving back home, Steven set off on the 4 hour drive to collect it. It was a totally rust free 1983 318i black E30, complete with a broken m20 engine. The previous owner had began restoring the car but give up when he came to engine troubles.

“I always liked the look of E30s. Their boxy shape with narrow A pillars is something you just don’t see, especially due to modern cars and the strict safety regulations now imposed on them. I think it captures a time when cars were just totally cool. Much to the destain of the previous owner who had it for 12 years it was always my intention to change the engine as I wanted something that could easily keep up with the cars I work with. The M50/52 from the E36, E34s etc is a common swap due to its relative simplicity, however the 190bhp just wasn’t enough. So the idea to turbocharge it came from there. Which at first I thought was ridiculous. It’s a somewhat common thing in an e36 but it’s quick difficult in an rhd e30 because the steering column is fouling on the downpipe. I ended up buying a holsett hx35 turbo like two days later as a way to commit myself.”

Post Author: Lisandru

Hello, my name is Alex aka Lisandru. I am an engineer, husband, blogger in free time and I'm living in Romania. This is my blog, where I post about beautiful places, automotive, games and movies reviews, videos and also about some things from my life. Never miss out on new stuff.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *