What Effect Does Winter Have On Your Car?

No doubt you’ve had one morning this month where you find yourself sat in your car, heaters blasting, wondering when it will ever warm up. This is on top of the painfully cold time spent de-icing the car to begin with. We know, we feel sorry for you, but we also feel sorry for your car too – believe it or not it can be just as affected by the cold as you.

But what effect does have on your car? Find out a few problems to keep an eye on this and if you are looking for help, check out website like Unipart for help and parts:

Your Battery Might Die

If you opt to give your car a winter service, make sure you test your battery prior to any cold weather hitting. This is especially important if you’ve had your for over three years, as cold conditions essentially ‘pull’ voltage from the battery which is why your car can be sluggish to start. If you’ve got a garage, keeping it in there on winter nights is the easiest way for you to make sure that freezing conditions don’t have an impact on the running of your .

Oil Thickens

When the temperature drops, the viscosity of the oil thickens – this makes it harder for the to turn over. Couple this with the above information about battery output and further factor in the age of the and battery and it could lead to stalled starts.

Tyre Pressure Changes

For every drop of 10*C in temperature, its estimated that your tyre will lose 1 PSI. For this reason, as the air gets colder, it’s important to check the inflation of your tyres as the conditions get colder – under-inflated tyres don’t perform to their optimum function and are liable for danger and damage in icy conditions.

Your Engine Isn’t As Efficient

Have you ever noticed you seem to fuel up more over the winter? During the first twenty to thirty minutes after a cold ignition your cars runs to a high gasoline-to-air ratio in order to prevent stalling. Once it has warmed up to operating temperature, the engine will start performing as normal.

Salt… Salt Everywhere

Though salt spreading and gritting plays a big role in keeping our roads safe and drivable during winter months, if you don’t wash off your car after long journeys on these roads the salt can slowly corrode the exterior of your car causing lots of unsightly rust.

Post Author: Lisandru

Hello, my name is Alex aka Lisandru. I am an engineer, husband, blogger in free time and I’m living in Romania. This is my blog, where I post about beautiful places, automotive, games and movies reviews, videos and also about some things from my life. Never miss out on new stuff.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *